Saturday, April 14, 2012

Autumn in My Heart



It was September. Silent chills of autumn swept the city as the leaves started to change its forms and colors. All the vibrant colors of spring had vanished and were replaced by shades of red and yellow, if not brown. In a month all the leaves would have withered away, unable to withstand nature’s preparation for a quiet winter slumber.

A terracotta-colored leaf landed upon Cat’s cheek. Cat brushed it away gently and continued to tread on the usual commuting path to work. Even though she was wearing a crimson trench-coat over her power suit, the chills still found a way to make her shiver underneath. A cup of the decaf green tea latte she was holding on her right hand provided little source of warmth but it will do for the time being. To distract herself from the cold, Cat allowed her brain to replay all her plans that she had made for today.

“You’re still not good with cold weather, Cathleen.”

A silky voice interrupted Cat’s thoughts, as they dispersed in midair. The voice had a deep sharp edge and a teasing tone. A sense familiarity washed over Cat as she turned around and had her assumptions confirmed.

Sure enough, a pair of familiar dark eyes observed Cat’s face amusedly as a smirk formed on the otherwise stunningly perfect face. The wind played slightly with the person’s wavy brown locks. Yes, the sound came from that beautiful man dressed in an elegant business suit, leaning on a posh black Aston Martin.

Cat held her breath nervously and forced a smile. “Good morning, Mr. Pelletier.” she greeted as politely as she could.

The young man gave a slight frown. “Why so formal so early in the day? I think you know me well enough to call me by my given name.”

Cat chuckled, “Well, I can’t possibly call the CEO’s son by his given name so-”

“Correct me if I’m wrong” the man cut in “But I don’t recall seeing this pathway as the Pelletier Tower and I don’t think the people here look anything like the staff in Pelletier Enterprise.”

“Well, that’s true but-“

“Then we’re not at work. So it means you can call me by any name you so desire.” he smiled playfully.

Cat cleared her throat. She wasn’t going to win this battle by any chance. In all the ten years she had known him, she had not won a single banter. “Okay then. Good morning…. Alain.”

“That’s more like it.” Alain Pelletier gave an approving nod and in a swift elegant move, opened the passenger’s door of his posh ride. “You made me wait long enough. Hop in or we won’t be able to make it to the office in time.”

“I’d rather not.” Cat said quickly. “The last time I arrived at work in your Ferrari, my boss and friends had a field day about it. Thank you for the generous offer but I don’t want a second chance to kill my social life.”

“It wasn’t a request, and we know I don’t like repeating myself.” Alain gazed at her calmly, but the words that came out from his mouth were superior and imposing. It reflected none of the gentleness in his expression. Alain quickly grabbed Cat’s wrist and pulled her into the car. The moment she was seated, the tone of his voice changed again. This time gentler –the tone he uses in his everyday conversation with everyone else. “So just sit back and enjoy okay.” He smirked as he closed the door.

*****

There goes my social life.

Cat sighed heavily as she stared into her computer screen, trying her best to ignore her workmates forming circles behind her. She could feel the cold jealous stares from her female coworkers. They should very well be giving her death threat notes by tomorrow.

Alain Pelletier was the third son of the Pelletier Enterprise CEO. Young, charismatic, and extremely intelligent, Alain was the most desired bachelor in her building and perhaps in the elite social circle. He was only one year her senior and now he’s the VP of Pelletier Media, a subsidiary of Pelletier Enterprise and Cat’s current workplace.

“Morning, gorgeous!” Sophie greeted merrily as she situated herself on her work station right beside Cat.

“Morning, Soph…” Cat half-groaned her reply. All the positive energy she had this morning were swept away the moment she had stepped inside the fancy Aston Martin.

Sophie threw a questioning look at her and gave a smile, “And here I thought that getting a ride to work in Alain Pelletier’s ride would cheer you up after what happened in my engagement party.”

“He’s my senior at high school, Soph. He used to tease me a lot at school.” Cat said with a hushed voice. “If anybody at work knew, they would think that I got my job through my connections to him, nobody would take me seriously and I will never get that promotion.”

“I think you’re being too dramatic here, Cat. You earned this job – and that long overdue promotion.” Sophie replied firmly. “He was just being nice you know, taking his junior to work. It doesn’t hurt that you both go to the same office.”

Cat was about to open her mouth and voice another protest when she heard the voices coming from three cubicles on her left.

“Did you hear? Paris Sinclair is coming to town for a two-night concert at the Ensemble Hall!”

Cat turned around and found her coworker Bianca talking on her cell excitedly. Bianca went on and on about how the tickets were sold out since yesterday. While Bianca was busy mourning the fact that she was not going to see the handsome violinist in person, Cat felt every system in her body crash just by the simple mention of Paris’ name. His name still had that effect on her even after seven years of his departure.

Cat opened her Blackberry and slowly opened the email. "Hi C, I'm back in town for a visit in a week. I need to see you. Love, P"

It was until then that she realized that there was a document attached to the email. Inserted was a front-row ticket to a concert taking place later tomorrow. Cat heaved another sigh just looking at it, butterflies churning inside her stomach.

Cat wasn’t ready to meet Paris. Not under this circumstances. He was a rising star, living his dream. She was a complete nobody, failed in living her dreams thanks to the cold shoulder of the universe.

But why is it that every fiber of her being is screaming ecstatically at the prospect of seeing him? This time in person – not in front of a television screen.

Taking a deep breath, Cat felt like she had made up her mind. She pressed the menu button and pressed ‘Reply to Email’.

1 comments:

Aggy said...

you are just getting at me!

Post a Comment